Guys, if you are looking to class things up by wearing a fraternity formal shirt with your Greek Letters on it, there are not a lot of affordable solutions.
Punch "Fraternity Formal Shirts" into Google and you get page after page of t-shirts commemorating the formal you had already.
So guess what? Its time to take matters into your own hands!
Wanna be the hero of your chapter and rock some frat style? Wanna save some money too?
Here's how: Make your own Greek letter fraternity formal shirts by following these 5 easy steps.
- First, get everyone's formal shirt sizes (neck and sleeve length) and order them from Amazon.
- Second, PASS THE HAT and buy a Cricut Explorer Air machine and vinyl cartridge in the color of your Greek letters.
- Third, buy and download the Greek Letter package from the Cricut website and also download the free editor software for your PC, Iphone or IPad.
- Fourth - Use the software to place the Greek Letter designs until you can fit as many as possible on one sheet of vinyl, then hit Print to have the Cricut cut them out for you.
- Lastly - Iron the letters on the formal shirts you ordered.
Its that simple and its pretty easy. The technology does most of the work.
The Cricut will save you money pretty quickly if you use it!
Here's a an example cost comparison for you using hoodies. Assume you have 20 guys in your chapter.
Let's assume you get the Cricut Air so you can take advantage of its wireless feature (you can plop on the couch, design something on your IPad, and hit print).
Now lets say your chapter has 20 brothers in it, and you all want to buy a hoodie with your letters on it from a Greek apparel website or somewhere. The average cost of a Greek letter hoodie is $40 each. Here is a comparison chart:
BUY THE HOODIES
You buy the hoodies with letters on them.
20 Members at your GLO
- $40 per hoodie
- + Shipping & Tax
USE THE CRICUT
Buy generic hoodies and make the letters with the Cricut Explore Air
20 Members at your GLO
- $285 - Cricut Explore Air (incl ship & tax)
- $5 - Greek Alphabet Set
- $9 - Iron-On Cartridge
- $233 - 20 Generic Hoodies ($10ea +S&H&T))
$532 ($26 EACH!)
YOU WOULD SAVE ~$340!!! And now that you have the Cricut, every incremental Greek block letter hoodie, t-shirt, sweat pants, formal shirt, gym bag, or anything else is at a small incremental cost for the apparel, and for a material cartridge!
Now that you have the machine, you can add Greek Letters to anything!
Cricut has tons of different styles of cartridges. For example, the have cartridges that you can use to print out letters that stick to just about any surface.
- Get around campus on a longboard? Print out your Greek Letters and stick 'em on!
- Make your own Frat Trucker hat with your Greek Letters on it!
- Punch up those cargo shorts with some Greek Letters!
- How about adding your letters to your backpack, or gym bag?
So many possibilities, and once you buy the Cricut, you only need the replenish the cartridges!
With the Cricut, you can design your own Greek sweatshirt or Greek block letter t-shirt on your IPad with software Cricut provides, and have the machine cut out the letter design.
Even better, once you get the Cricut, you can crank out as much Greek Letter clothing as you want for very little cost! And of course, you can make other stuff with it too, like Banners, Invitations, and I'm sure you can think of a few things.
The Cricut Explore Air has FIVE STARS on Amazon.com and 536 Reviews, not to mention 356 answered questions.
Cricut has tons of different color material cartridges to choose from so you can match your fraternity colors
You can print out on sticky-backed materials, so you can print some Greek block letters and put them on party banners, or your house walls, or anything.
Of course, you can print out vinyl iron-on material in lots of different colors and patterns, and put them on any article of clothing, so the limit is your imagination!
There are cartridges galore to choose from, so you should be able to find something you like.
Here are some cartridge ideas...if you want more, click one and you will be sent to Amazon:
There are just so many cartridges to choose from, and so little time!
Layer the Cricut iron-on design you created to create borders for the greek letters on your frat formal shirt
What I like about the Cricut is that you can layer materials too.
For example, you can print out a white Greek Letter and a slightly smaller black letter in black, and put the smaller black letter over the larger white one so it looks like a white outline around the letter! Looks good!
Here's a great video from CleanCutStudio that shows you how to layer vinyl iron-ons
The Cricut uses Embedded Bluetooth and has lots of other extras
According to the Cricut website, the Explorer Air includes:
- Embedded Bluetooth® for wireless cutting
- Dual carriage for cutting and writing or cutting and scoring in one step
- Upload your own images for free (.svg, .jpg, .png, .bmp, .gif, .dxf)
- Cut over 60 materials from vellum to leather
- Smart Set® dial for easy material settings
- Free Cricut Design Space™ online software and iPad app
- Cut Smart® precision cutting
- Works with all Cricut® cartridges
- Integrated storage compartments
You can also get access to the 50,000 images, projects and fonts in the Cricut Image Library for a monthly fee, or buy images for $0.99 (the Greek Letter package is $5) directly from Cricut.