Get ready to throw some amazing and memorable parties with these fraternity and sorority mixer ideas built around holidays!
Halloween (October 30) Mixer Ideas
Pumpkin Carving contests are always easy and fun! Get inexpensive templates for people to use from the internet, or they can come up with their own design.
Give prizes for best, weirdest, and of course, worst! (Pumpkin guts over the head can be a big incentive to give it some effort!)
Donner Party Theme: (ie the "Party" who became cannibals in the mountains during the California Gold Rush - now called Donner Pass)- Everyone dresses up like death... blood and gory and then have like finger and eyeball food.
Thriller / Zombie Mob - Everyone dresses like zombies and you go for a pub crawl
Dress by Class: Each class (i.e. freshman, sophomore, etc) dresses in the same costume. You can take this one further by setting up rooms in your house that only certain classes can go in. For example, freshman can only go in the freshmen room, but sophomore's can go in the freshman room and the sophomore room ,etc. Any class caught in a room above their year has to do a shot.
Mardi Gras 2016 is Tuesday, February 9, so get ready!
1. Send out invitations telling attendees to wear Purple, Green and Gold.
2. Buy lots of beads! Amazon has tons of beads of different sizes and colors in bulk. If you want to add even more Mardi Gras ambiance, consider putting Mardi Gras doubloons in bowls or scattering them around
3. Buy some electric tea candles - you can get them in bulk as well and put them around the room. If you are crafty, you can put them inside glass votive holders painted gold or you can put candles in candelabras everywhere.
4. For cheap decorations, print out some street signs from Bourbon Street, glue them to cardboard, and put them around the house.
Everyone comes dressed up purple green and gold with Mardi Gras masks, the event starts off formal with more traditional music before slowly transitioning into the chaos that is Mardi Gras.
Here's a punch bowl recipe for the traditional Hurricane drink!
1 Large Punch Bowl
2 cups of orange juice
2 cups of pineapple juice
1 cup of freshly squeezed lime juice
1 cup of Grenadine
2 cups of light rum
2 cups of dark rum
Combine everything but the ice in the punch bowl. Have a cooler of ice on the side that people can put into their cups.
Throw A Christmas Party Mixer Before The Break
Ugly Sweater, Sexy Santa - a favorite and a theme that continues even after college.
Wrap It Up - Everyone dresses in wrapping paper, and Christmas decorations
Secret Santa - This one gets ridiculous. Every guy brings a date and every guy has a Secret Santa. The presents, which are that person's favorite beverage, are called out by Mrs. Claus (one of the brothers). Then, the gift receiver sits on either Santa's, the Reindeer's, or the Elf's lap and each character has different instructions when people offer them things. Be sure there is lots of food and an amazing punch.
St. Patrick's Day 2016 is on Thursday, March 17 and it makes a great fraternity and sorority mixer!
Lucky Shamrocks - Dress in Green with an Irish Theme
- Pick up some green plastic tablecloths for your table and bar
- Cut out four leaf clover patterns in green construction paper and put them up on your walls
- Make some leprechaun traps and put them around the house.
- These guys will show you how to make a cheap St. Paddy's day leprechaun costume for less than $20
Make Green Beer. Making green beer is really easy. You add 8 drops of green food coloring to every 12 ounces of light beer. You can put it in the glass and pour on top of it, or you can add it and stir after you pour. Your choice!
A great and easy to make theme snack is a Lucky Charms Rice Krispies Treat! Here's what you need:
1 (10 ounce) bag jumbo marshmallows
6 Tablespoons of butter
6 cups of Lucky Charms cereal
10 pieces of vanilla almond bark (3/4 of a package)
1 tablespoon shortening
Green gel food coloring
Here's how to make them:
- Heat butter over medium heat in a large skillet or pot
- Spray a large mixing bowl with nonstick spray. Pour Lucky Charms into the bowl
- Add marshmallows and stir constantly until mostly melted. Turn off heat and continue stirring until completely melted
- Pour the melted marshmallows over the Lucky Charms and use a mixing spoon to stir until the melted marshmallows fully cover all the Lucky Charms.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Pour the marshmallow/Lucky Charms mixture into the dish and press down to fill the dish. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the almond bark and shortening for 90 seconds on high. Remove and stir until completely melted. Add green food coloring if desired. Try 8 drops for each 12 ounces.
- Pour the almond bark over the Lucky Charms and use a spoon or spatula to spread evenly.
- Allow to cool in the fridge for about 20 minutes until the bark is almost firm.
- Slice and Serve!
Cinco De Mayo 2016 is on...the 5th of May (Thursday)
Parties on Cinco De Mayo are a personal favorite because I love margaritas and tacos!
Food choices are obvious and should include chips, guacamole, and salsa.
If you want to serve more food, a make your own taco bar is a great way to feed a bunch of peeps without too much work.
Drinks should include margaritas, and tequila shots. Here are some decoration and costume ideas:
- Mustache Pack of 6 for less than $5.00
- Sombreros are a must have
- Inflatable Sombrero Cooler (holds 10 12-oz cans)
- Fiesta table runner to punch up your surfaces
- Pin the Tail on the Donkey game
- Mariachi music is a must!
- Check out these fiesta photo door banners. You hang them in a doorway and you can stick your head through the holes for pictures!
My new favorite fraternity and sorority mixer is "Talk Like A Pirate Day" on September 19 (Monday)
This "holiday" was created by John Baur and Mark Summers on June 6, 1995. It's a great story!
- Here are some drink ideas: The Cap'n Barbossa, the Famous 'Ol Spiced, the Pirate's Kiss, and American Grog and so many more!
- Costume ideas are obvious, but here are some from Amazon.com:
Don't Forget The Single People On Valentine's Day (Sunday, February 14)
Throw a Heartbreakers party for everyone who doesn't have a date on Valentines Day
Decorations are traditional, and only single people are invited!
Be sure to have a mix of guys and girls in decent ratios!
Oktoberfest Starts September 17 and Ends October 3
This one is so easy, and so tasty!
Get some beer steins, bbq some brats and sausages, serve with mashed potatoes and saurkraut, and have a selection of quality beer on tap!
Guys can pick up some Lederhosen for about $30
Ladies should dress as Bavarian girls